Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Happy Family, Happy Kids!


Last night as I was hiding in the bathroom eating my secret stash of Reese’s Peanut Butter cups, while pretending to have a tummy ache so that Mommy could have a few minutes of peace. It occurred to me that maybe I need a break, a little grown up time. Date night, couple time, alone time, grown up time whatever you call it in your house; it is an absolute necessity at the very least once a month. I often have the debate with my friends in regards to putting your kids first. I believe in putting me and my fiance first. Now let me clarify. I am not talking about scenarios in which we are poor and we leave our children to starve while selfishly eating the last piece of bread. Of course in situations such as that I would and do put my children first. I am simply saying if Mommy is burnt out and exhausted, unhappy, depressed, and so stressed that I am ready to pull my hair out I am of no good to anyone most of all the kids. I have to take care of myself in order to take care of my family. And we as a couple needs to nourish our relationship in order to stay on the same page and keep a united front when the little monster’s try to team up on us or play us against one another.  :)

I think many times as women we forget about ourselves, we are told we are selfish or made to feel guilty (mostly by ourselves) if we take any sort of break or time away from our children. The truth is taking time for you and your relationship is one of the more positive things you can do for your children. It helps to build their self-esteem and gain independence and obviously children flourish in a positive home environment. Our emotions are like a common cold they are contagious and children inherit our self-esteem so it's important to be a good role model as you are their first and most important role model whether you know it or not. A solid foundation equals a solid family. Happy home; happy kids! I strongly believe that when everything in your daily lives revolves around your children it not only does a great disservice to and your partner but to your children as well.

And with Mother’s Day coming up this weekend there is no better time to take a “vacation day” so to speak. Just a few hours alone with Daddy talking about grown up subjects without the constant interruption of Mom, Mom, Mommy, Mom. That is all I wish for this Mother’s Day weekend is a little reconnection with my "husband to be" as friends and lovers. Mommy and Daddy need a time out!

I realize sometimes the costs of a night out with the expenses of a babysitter, dinner, movies, or what have you can get a little expensive. Here are a few simple date night ideas and you never even have to leave the house.

Bring dinner to the bedroom: Create a candle light dinner in the privacy of your bedroom after the children are tucked in and fast asleep in bed. Turn off the TV and talk about your day focus only on one another, not on the piles of laundry or dishes in the sink and most definitely not cell phones!

Play: Play time isn't just for the kids.  Play a game together: Cards, video games, or even a board game. Get competitive, make bets with each other!

Massage: Take turns giving each other massages.  What better way to relieve the stresses of the week.  As an added bonus get some massage oils to share.

Take some time for yourselves you deserve it and your children will thank you later!