Thursday, May 2, 2013

It's never too early

I’m not ashamed to admit that yesterday I officially started Christmas shopping.  I know, I know.  It’s only the beginning of May. But Christmas is after all the most wonderful time of the year!! And it’s hard to pass up a good deal!  I was browsing various toy websites and had decided on a few items that I wanted to buy for our baby girl.  Now don’t get me wrong I love our boys but there is only so much fishing, hunting, sports, cars, trucks and the like that this Mommy can take.  I am so excited for Barbie’s, tea parties, dress up, and baby dolls!  I am looking forward to the holiday’s this year having a little one will be so much fun.  I can’t wait to share with her the magic of Christmas.   

Seeing the costs of some of these toy’s I decided to turn to Craigslist and I am so glad I did I saved close to $200 on two purchases alone.  I highly recommend going this route for toy purchases especially infant and toddler toys.  Most of the time they are so gently used the items you can find are as good as new.  Let’s face it having a family is not inexpensive so anyway you can find to cut costs helps tremendously.  I have found so many bargains on not only Craigslist but at garage sales that I couldn’t even begin to tell you how much money I have saved over the years.  I love finding a good deal and I love being able to provide my children with toys that I might otherwise not be able to afford even more.   
It is very important to do your research when buying items second hand.  Use the Internet to make sure there are no recalls on the product you are planning to buy. The Consumer Product Safety Commission is an excellent resource.  
Don't be afraid to ask questions of the seller. Are there any stains? Stickers missing? Are all parts functioning? Is there any pieces missing? 
Compare the price of the toy new with the asking price.  If there is only a small difference don't be afraid to ask if they will take a smaller amount, most sellers are willing to go lower in price.  Or you may just decide to purchase the toy new instead. 
Try the out the toy before you buy it. Check for all working and movable parts, buttons, try out sounds and any other features it may have.
Don’t forget to clean everything you buy second hand before presenting them to your little one.  For plastic toys use a solution of ½ of bleach per gallon of water soak the toys for at least 5 minutes and allow to air dry.  For battery operated items that cannot be submerged in water I recommend using the same solution and wiping them clean with a damp cloth. For more stubborn spots or crayon use a Mr.Clean® Magic Eraser® (this product is a must have in every household with children) and in addition to cleaning I also recommend using Clorox® Anywhere® Hard Surface™ Daily Sanitizing Spray this is also good to use when you children have been sick.  For fabric items and stuffed toys place them in a mesh laundry bag or pillow case knotted at the top and wash in the washing machine on gentle.  I recommend allowing these items to air dry or if you must use the dryer remember to change the setting to the gentle cycle. 
I think some parents especially first time parents are a little leery of buying items second hand, but as long as you follow my advice above.  This is a fabulous way to keep costs down. Happy bargain hunting!!